Friday 31 July 2015

#Thing6 Reflective Blogging

Seem to be flying through the things so far so a bit of reflection is no harm.  From reading the different blog posts, a lot of us seemed to fall into the profession though we're all book lovers.  Librarianship doesn't seem to present itself as a career option earlier in life so the paths we've followed have been diverse.   I'm glad I became a librarian - working with books makes me happy.  Working with the public can be challenging at times, it's not always rosy but good times definitely outweigh the bad.
I like the variety of the job - I deal with every age group from babies in buggies to pensioners - helping someone get their Mills and Boon fix, reading aloud to a creche group (even try my hand at singing 'Smartest Giant in Town' and I cannot sing), recommending a book club title, discussing a title with our own book club, Leaving Cert students doing history projects, local history devotees, little old ladies borrowing the most gruesome crime fiction, people reading the papers, those on Internet PCs, tourists, teenagers just hanging out, lifelong learners getting reacquainted with education and the list goes on... Space for all. 
Glad to have the opportunity to upskill by learning more about social media, spend so much time at work on email and using LMS that opportunity to diversify doesn't happen too often, nice to be able to follow Rudaí23 at my own pace too.  Having said that, holidays today so pace might slow a bit!

4 comments:

  1. I think self-directed courses like this are great to learning new skills, working at your own pace, and having the support of the other blogs/bloggers helps too.
    Enjoy your break - Christine #Rudaí23 team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, trying out the Podcast Thing currently so getting back into swing of things.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, the 'Mills and Boon fix'. I had a little giggle at your blogpost; it brought back many good memories of my time working in public libraries. Enjoy your holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean - Saturday crowd in at the moment so plenty of variety!

      Delete