Tuesday 14 July 2015

How I became a librarian...

I loved reading as a child, loved the imaginary worlds of Anne of Green Gables, the Chalet School, Jo of Little Women, Enid Blyton's Five Find-Outers, Heidi.  Read everything I could get my hands on. Enjoyed history at school so studied it in Uni with archaeology.  Temped, travelled, spent my twenties wandering and wondering.  Tried to figure out a job I would like - settled on being a librarian.  Started in a research library and loved the variety of requests.  Thought public libraries might suit - the varied clientele means I can talk about history occasionally and share my thoughts on books with strangers!  Also, get pleasure in the sheer handling of books, I'm one of the library's best customers.

3 comments:

  1. Our routes into librarianship have been many and varied, it has been wonderful reading them all. Great post, keep up the blogging#rudaĆ­23

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all those books as well, especially Chalet School - I also think I bring more books home with me leaving my neighbours in no doubt what I do for a living!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudine. Nice to meet a fellow Chalet School aficionado, not too many of us around. On hols from today so am bringing home an extra large pile!

      Delete